Building a robotic camera dolly system
April 22, 2014
Instructables Motorized Camera Dolly Project
Last week we sponsored an Instructables Project and we are excited to finally share the finished build with you!
The Instructables team did an awesome job of designing and implementing this project and we hope you enjoy reading about it as well as trying it out for yourself. Our line of Actobotics precision building components are extremely versatile and there are countless ways to build a similar rig - however, this detailed project log from Randy will give you a good overview of how to get started...enjoy!
“Recently I received the opportunity to try out Servo City's Actobotics build system. While I could have used it to build a great many things, I ultimately decided to make a programmable camera dolly system. This device allows me to create time lapse films with complex movements as well as program repeatable automated real-time camera movements. In other words, this rig allows you to smoothly film complex camera movements in time lapse and real-time.”
- Randy, Instructables
For project details as well as step by step building instructions visit: http://www.instructables.com/id/Robo...-Dolly-System/
The Robotic Camera Dolly System has these key features:
- The ability for real-time filming and stop motion photography.
- It is controllable via an easy-to-use touch screen.
- The system can pan, tilt and drive at the same time.
- All actions are repeatable thanks to servo motors and a DC drive motor with a rotary encoder.
- Thanks to the dynamic Actobotics build system and open source Arduino-based hardware, it is fully customizable to meet your own needs.
Watch a video of the dolly in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp7nL0NzmBI