Let's Make Robots!

I need help for game testing - solved

Okay, I'm delighted to say that my latest project, a python online multiplayer game is almost done! All works as expected (except that my masterserver keeps resetting its server list every half-hour, and that the Server.exe bypasses its interface and runs as an invisible process... hey at least it still runs!)

One more thing, NAT. NAT traversal is some nasty business. On LANs the game works just fine, it's the external connections that I haven't been able to debug yet, because I honestly don't have anyone with enough know-how to test with. 

So, I'm looking for someone to run the game, and I'll just wireshark the session to see wot the hell is going wrong. If that fails I'd like the other person to port forward 6385, then test again. If that doesn't work, then I suspect it's my own setup that won't allow inbound connections to the server. I'd then like the volunteer to host the server and I'll check if I can connect to it. If all this goes to hell then I think we can try the pwnat program I nicely compiled to an exe. All in all it's a 150 around ten mb download and like five minutes of time. 

I would greatly appreciate someone's help with this, because it's really frustrating to have the project hanging on this one point. 

Windows branch (I have a source branch too, but it has dependencies involved):

https://github.com/Ohmnivore/Frenzy/tree/Windows

Here's the boiled down code:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B54p-Cx0oMPgbWYta2VHdEplWVU&usp=sharing

You can either run the source (python 2.7 + legume) or run ServerTest.exe or ClientTest.exe. ServerIP.txt is the IP to bind to, and ClientIP.txt is the IP to connect to. If you're running the exes make sure you download all the contents of the folder. 

One more thing I noticed is that everytime I connect to the server, the client port seems to vary for some reason. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Here's the boiled down code:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B54p-Cx0oMPgbWYta2VHdEplWVU&usp=sharing

You can either run the source (python 2.7 + legume) or run ServerTest.exe or ClientTest.exe. ServerIP.txt is the IP to bind to, and ClientIP.txt is the IP to connect to. If you're running the exes make sure you download all the contents of the folder. 

One more thing I noticed is that everytime I connect to the server, the client port seems to vary for some reason. 

 

I just passed my eyes through the code, but legume seems to create new sockets for each client and then bind, could it be those port adrresses you are seeing???

Thanks a lot! It turned out that the client socket was binding to, err, well whatever the OS felt was appropriate. Legume was passing 0 as port number for some reason which caused the OS to choose for itself. Now port forwarding should actually have effect :)

Hooray

Wow. Screw windows. In the end I got sick of asking people to test, so I left my laptop at my grandpa's and teamviewed it from my ubuntu desktop at home. Turns out port forwarding worked fine on ubuntu. I can't belive how much time I lost trying to get it working with Windows. I had even disabled every bit of security to allow NAT traversal, but to no avail.

PS Thanks mogul! I didn't consider UPnP in the past, but it's gonna be my last resort if anything happens.