Let's Make Robots!

Robot Buggy

Follow Light

My First Robot

It's a simple modified RC buggy, designed to follow light.

Picture (Before the Tragedy)




I was having Test Run, suddenly it missed light and baang into the wall! The front tire broke! As you can see from the picture, the front bumper is already broken, the tire directly hit the wall and broke. For your information, this RC Buggy is about 10 years old, lol. Yeah, it is my elder bro's. I asked him if I could make Robot out of it, he said, yeah why not. I don't have enough money to buy new RC car. Here's the broken tire picture


 So what did I do?

I didn't have money to buy new RC car, so I had to make my own steering mechanism. I had servos(small ones) I don't know but they don't seem to work with my Arduino Mega, they do, but they are very slow. I had posted onto Arduino Forums, but the problem is still unsolved. So I used High Torque Motor that I bought from Sparkfun.com. I mounted the wheels onto this High Torque Motor. For turning I calculated the time taken for the DC motor to rotate about 45' degrees, it was around 200ms. Through this, I was able to determine the position of the motor. I know, if the current drops, it won't rotate 45' degrees. I know this, but I didn't have any other choice. It works! 

Here are the pictures of new Steering Mechanism.




Looks like a futuristic buggy right?



This is my first ever Robot, I know it's messy, all the wires running around, sorry for the mess :)

If you see the video, the buggy can't get the light when it's far from it .This is not a bug or fault. I intentionally did this, and it only moves forward, when it detects light on either side. When the light is balanced, it stops.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Maybe you might find this video interesting, it shows the internals of a servo motor.

If you need help setting up your servo with the Arduino Mega we can try to give you a hand  ;)

That video really helped :)

If you need help setting up your servo with the Arduino Mega we can try to give you a hand  ;)"

Sure! I need help. I will post it on forums :)

cool, I hope you get it working  ;)

I like the improvisation. I know how it feels when you want to get something done and the parts are not available, broken or just not invented yet ;-)

Good job and keep improving...haha, the wireing is cool...my bots are looking like yours...working but they're not a beauty ;-)