Let's Make Robots!

Ignoble Idiocy

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

mistake_0.gif 

Nobody's perfect, least of all me.  Here I intend to record some of my roboting mistakes for my own good.  Perhaps you can learn from my errors, or even contribute your own.

Latest Update: 2010-02-04

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I took a shortcut drilling out the center hole of a gear to accomodate a larger diameter shaft. Although I have a drillpress, I didn't spare the few minutes it would have taken to make an accurate hole that is perpendicular to the gear. I used a hand drill instead.

Now I have a wobbly gear. It doesn't matter in my application. My son just wanted to see a fan-like add on on the back on my Shovel Head Fred robot, "to make it go faster". 

So it doesn't matter that it wobbles, but if I ever need that gear for another project, I'm out of luck. Two more minutes and a little patience and I could have avoided this. Lesson learned.

I just received ten mini servos from DAGU. I was so excited to get them working. I also bought the nicely LMR branded sensor mounts. So I combined these great DAGU parts to make a pan/tilt mount.

However, during programming on the PICAXE, I typed "255" for the servo position, instead of 225.  The PICAXE manual advises NEVER to go higher than 225, and now I have personally experienced why.  The poor little servo started spinning around! I broke right through its own mechanical stop (nice torque on those mini servos!).

The servo is still working... sort of. But it is definately out of whack.  Lesson learned. Check your code before you run it!

It would be nice if the program would see that in your code and yell DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!!

I know! I need to create a robot that is better at programming than me (probably not hard to do). Then it can stand over my shoulder and shout warnings, encouragement, and derision as most appropriate my coding efforts.

Oh, wait. That's what you folks at LMR are for. ; j

On my first robot build, I thought I'd be smart and use some extra heavy gauge wire for the motors. Not only was it overkill for the intended current, but I wound up breaking one of the motor contacts, requiring this fix.

Now I stick to the proper wire gauge for the application at hand.

I think you could reinforce it with some hot glue, that's what i usually do.
Good tip! I could have learned from that one.  However, there really was no good reason to use 18 gauge wire.  Waaaaaay to heavy.