XMOS Challenge : ONR robot beginnings
Description of the ONR (maybe a real name TBA)
This robot is to navigate outdoors from point to point, possibly going through a series of predetermined points. Point location can be marked by traffic cones, GPS coordinates, or other orienteering markers as detailed in various contests like Robomagellan or the DPRG outdoor contests. Requirements include finding and recognizing the point, as well as negotiating any obstacles between points, and maintaining a remote stop.
Possible additional abilities can include a simple on board user interface for point entry, video and audio feedback, object manipulation, complete remote control, and solar charging.
Basic bot parts so far :
- 2 surplus Denso window motors, one right, one left, same as used in Parallax Motor Kit
- 4 10"x 3" Mountain Board wheels
- 1 Pololu Dual VNH2SP30 Motor Driver Carrier MD03A
- 1 EM406A GPS or another
- 2 Nemicon OME-A (OME-2MCA) 500 cpr quadrature encoders
- 2 12 volt 7 AH SLA batteries, might not be the best choice, subject to change
Possibly various sensors, probably sonar with analog or pulse width output. Maxbotix LV-MaxSonar EZ1 likely. Might try Sharp IR sensors though expect washout in sun.
Parts to do :
- Determine 2 or 4 wheel drive, tricycle or 4 wheeler
- Get a good coupling of wheels to the motors, unsure of current hack
- coupling of encoders to protect them, but maintain good count.
- consider remote control options, to take over or remote stop in case of error - Vex radio or XBee?
- check detection of likely obstacles - sonar or IR detection of plants, wire fences, streams
- consider likely sensor placement to maximise detection of obstacles
- consider video/audio feedback, range
That's all for now.