Let's Make Robots!

Mr. Basic Motor Driver Kit Problem

Hi, LMR!

I need some help with troubleshooting Mr. Basic Motor Driver board. Basically, I couldn't make it work. I use 4xAA Alkaline batteries [5.8V actual voltage] as power supply. MC Picaxe 18X. Relays are working fine, but Motors are not. With my little experience in electronics I guess BD681 does not open for some reason. But not sue, I might be wrong...

My setup:

Trouble1.jpg

Troubleshooting done:

First I checked setup with only VCC and GND connected to motor driver board. I have VCC and GND potentials on respective board outputs with motors disconnected. Is this ok?? Well, as long as there is no current between them... But I'm not realy sure... Then I have checked picaxe actually sets out pin high. and connected PWM input of the board. At this point with PWM high, I have 5.8 (VCC) and 4.6v on motor outputs (motors disconnected.) And no current drawn by motor when connected..

Anyone could help???

Am I doing something wrong ??

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
If you are sure you have same problem, I'd suggest just go ahead and buy new transistors locally. Even in my country they were available :) Price here was ~$1 each.

I was a little confused trying to follow the description of your problem. So I'm not sure if you have the same issue or not. Did OddBot's reply to you help you in troubleshooting at all?

If you can get the BD681s easily, stick with those. I still have to do some testing on the TIP120s, though it seem to work so far.

I have mounted Motor Driver PCB on top of Mr. Basic, and found another possible cause of fault: Very first time I powered up board on Mr. Basic, just like on picture, and there is high chance of shortening components by touching motor housings. I have put a piece of cardboard to prevent it for now. Will replace it by plastic insulator soon...

DSC00153.jpg

That would be possible, but my first test was outside the Mr. Basic... so I'm still trying to figure out what happened.

But it's true. I had the same problem with my Arduino in a r/c car chassis. I measured and cutted a calculator's cover and mounted it with screws where the original circuit used to be. In the Mr. Basic, I'm using some plastic spacers from aTamiya kit to cover the 3 screws in the board; in my case they make contact with the pins of the Arduino.