Finally doing some bot building
October 25, 2009
Yay, I finally am getting to work on my XMOS project. I've had a three foot stick of 1/2" x 3/4" aluminum angle stock for weeks now. Today I lopped two six inch lengths off, nibbled out some pockets for the servo housings, and drilled em. Reall impressive, eh? ;) At least it's moving along again.
Top left, clockwise: 4xAA battery holder, Lego wheel with servo horn screwed on, XMOS XK-1 with XTAG programmer, left frame rail, modified servo, right frame rail + drive assembly. Please forgive the crappy photo, it's just from the phone. I'll get more better picslater on.
Now I need to hack the servo-ness completely out of the servo casings and add an optical encoder so I can get reasonable distance measurements. The motors will likely end up being run via an SN754410 H-Bridge I think.
Still haven't opened the servos to de-servo-mo-tize them. Instead I cut up a dollar-store clipboard and made the chassis/body/thingie instead. The clipboard is 0.125" fiber/paper board stuff. With the aluminum frame rails it should be plenty sturdy, especially since the whole thing is only six inches square anyway.
The original idea was to put the battery box on the bottom, in between the frame rails. Naturally I didn't think hard enough when drilling the mounting holes, those rear bolts are smack in the middle of the batt box. I'll re-drill them a bit further back tomorrow. And the front bolts are in the way of putting a nut on the servos' front mounting bolts. Those thread into the aluminum okay, but not enough to trust permanently. Since there isn't enough room to re-drill the front ones I'll just put a goober of loc-tite on those at final assembly.
So, there's the first step of 812-R5. Hopefully it won't take me quite so long to get around to working on this one some more. I'll make a proper robot project page after it actually does something.
Note: more/all photos available under the XMOS tag on my Flickr page