Herbert The 4WD Arduino Robot
More new video...this is Herbert's first attempt at collision avoidance. Well, it wasn't very successful, lol! I'm going to spend the next few days messin' with code and then I"ll post another attempt. Also, I want to thank all of you for the advice on motor controllers and chips...I really appreciate it! It is such a big topic I need to just sit down and read a bunch of data sheets and web sites, heh. In the mean time, just to be moving ahead, I bought two Pololu Dual DC motor controllers....these:
I know it's the easy way out, but I'll still be working on getting my motor shield to work in some context. So, without further ado (or is it French Adieu or something, I don't know) here is the latest Herbert video....Herbert's Collision Avoidance Test 1...see below:
After going a week with no computer (my main computer blew up, literally) I'm finally back with a quad core box a the most memory I've ever had! (6g)...Anyway, I'm back to working on Herbert. I haven't resolved my motor shield issues yet, but I've been working on the ping sensor 'eyes' and the beginnings of collision avoidance.
Watch Herbert's Eyes for the newest of what's going on...
Here is my first robot project, Herbert. He's named after H.G. Wells. He is going to be a long term project. I'm planning to add more and more features as I learn more. The first two videos show my progress in learning about the various parts that will make up Herbert. I have a motor controller board, but I felt it was important to understand the Arduino code and transistor circuits that make up 'basic' movement before moving on to the motor controller code and circuit.
In these videos the Arduino is powered by a Mintyboost....an Altoid tin battery circuit from Adafruit. I have the motors running off a 9 volt battery but that will change soon....those motors are sucking the batteries dry. I don't know what brand the motors are, they have no markings and came with the chassis which was an early Christmas present. I do know they are 6-12V motors.
I also document my breadboarding of Herbert's 'eyes'. He will be using a Parallax Ping sensor up top eventually, but that is after I make sure I completely understand the motor stuff. Later I will add IR sensors to help with collision detection. After that, I'll see where my learning takes me!