SolaHex (Simple Hexapod Clone)
Update: Few images uploaded.
I always wanted to build a hexapod, and after pdg37 posted his Simple three-servo hexapod walker I told myself: "This is the best design to start!". ShC v1 by spacebird and Hexapod Clone by BruuD convinced me that the initial thought was right. So, to robot itself. I decided to go slightly beyond simplisity and add some features to my SolaHex, that is how I name it, and from name alone you could suspect it will have something to do with solar power... Bingo! Was not that hard, was it? :D So, what SolaHex is going to do:
- Walk on 3x 8gr servo powered legs (implemented)
- Detect obstacles with Sharp 10cm range sensor (implemented)
- Produce sounds with piezo speaker (in progress)
- Seek for light by LDR sensing (to be implemented)
- Know if the battery charge is getting low (to be implemented)
- Recharge with solar cells (to be implemented)
- Signal with blue LED (to be implemented)
- Picaxe 28x2 low voltage microcontroller
- 3x 8gr Micro Servos
- TO BE UPDATED
Most of work on mechanical side is done. He can walk forward-backward and detect obstacles. You can see it on first video. The best thing is... I have whole weekend to work on SolaHex, take pics, shoot vids and post them! :D
I have been working on hardware part today (solar cells and LDRs are installed) as well as making some photos. So, the story goes:
Here SolaHex is in electronics design phase. I had all parts connected on breadboard.
Next photo showing a plastic container I intended actually to fit everything into...
And everything were going well, I installed a piezo speaker on the bottom, then glued NiMH cell and servos on top...
But when I made cuts for legs in upper part and tried to fit my PCB in, I had to leave this idea. I left lower part intact though... Anyways... Legs were made from thin rods taken from old broken umbrella. Some heatshrink "boots" made :D After couple of minutes of digging in my junkbox, I found pretty nice CD dummy they put below all CDs when sold in stack. Bolted it to lower body with some mecano parts and few screws. This basically constituted the chassis. Today I glued solar cells and LDRs below my transparent hood and connected everything. Ohhh... what a mess with wiring... Next time I will first design my pcb properly instead just getting a small piece of it and designing "as it goes" :D Below you can see how SolaHex looks at the moment (Click on images to see enlarged pics)
Now SolaHex only goes forward, till it sees obstacle and backs off as you saw from first video. So next time I have free time, I'll do some coding for turning first, then LDR measurements processing. Keep tuned :D