Ideas for a remote controlled actuator with some limitations
May 11, 2010
A friend of mine is biologist and needs to capture regularly ducks to control their health.
He has made a jail which door can be released easily (guillotine door), but this jail is going to be placed on a platform in the middle of a small lake. He has asked for my help to build a device to remotely close the door.
Our first idea was a Hobby remote controller and receiver to activate a servo to close the door.
But there are some limitations which worries us:
- The platform is in the middle of the lake (very hard to access), so the batteries should last at least 24h.
- Would it be better to use some kind of clock to disconnect it during the night?
- The servo cosumes energy, even when it is not moving, and the door can be closed only once. After that it is necessary to reopen it manually. Would it be better to use a motor and a relay? What kind of receiver could we use?
- The humidity of the lake could be a problem?
- High temperatures during the day could be a problem?
- As cheap as possible
Thank you for your time