Let's Make Robots!

Humanoid

This was built to help me with programming

From concept to reality.

The platform is finished. Now to start with programming ideas!

In the original blog about this robot I said that Iwould build it using simple tools. Band saw, drill press, belt sender, and hand tools. Even though the robot came out very well there were some sacrifices by not using a milling machine which I don't have or having someone machine it for me. The Hip joint ended up being looser then I would have hoped. I have added elastics for the moment to take up some of the play and there are more permanent things that I will try to make the joints tighter.

The robot which is 60% my size has 12 servos. Originally there were to be 14 but I changed the design which made the build and future programs simpler. At the moment the spine doesn't have any servos connected to it so it has been taped to make it a bit ridged.

The left and right leg wiring harnesses are identically made so that it helps with trouble shooting. They are on the outsides of the board. The center harness is for the hip controls. The controller at this time is the Arduino Mega. It is connected to the system through the interface board so to keep it clear of any external switches, plugs and problems.

 

 

above is a photo of the knees.

Above are photos of the pressure pads I built for the feet. Forgive the low quality of work on them as they are temporary. There are 3 pads per foot at the moment, 2 in the front and one in the back. What I intend to do is to have to 2 front pads adjust the swing of the foot left to right, and the sum of the 2 front pads with the back pad swing the body on the foot forwards back words. The combination of the 3 pads should keep the center of gravity in the middle of the foot.

The pads are made of a sheet of brass on one side of the pad and a piece of PCB board with the cupper towards the inside on the other side of the pad. The center is the black foam that you find your IC's on.


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
amazing. Please keep refreshing the page. Maybe you could use a raspberry pi to have more advanced moves...

I am actually playing with the raspberrypi at the moment. The project is separate from the robot as I am trying to cluster 12 raspi's together, two will have the new cameras that are offered for the raspi. Once I have the cluster working (if ever. lol) I will merge the two projects together.

I can't wait to see it.

Hello All,

As they said in Ghost Busters when the Titanic arrived "Better late than never".

So here is a short video of my robot.

This robot has engulfed me to the point of starting a webpage that has everything about it.

I hope that it's not another year before I post more videos.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjWRWTgdNU

 

http://www.malinowskidavid.com/current-projects-2/humanoid-minime/

keep going,good luck!!!!!!

Would you please submit some videos of your interesting work?

I am working on some basic code in Python and Arduino so that this robot is more then just a statue. Once I get some ideas working I will definitely post a video.
BTW thanks for the request.

Hello All

It's been a while since I have been on here, work/life gets in the way.  Anyways I have some new pictures of the robot that I would like to share.

The original design has been heavily modified from the original mainly due to the cost of servos that were needed.

Above are photos of the original foot and the new fiberglass foot that is fitted with 62 points for the pressure pads (http://www.technobotsonline.com/materials/smart-materials/pressure-sensitive-materials.html). I have tested these pads but not at this quantity so it should be fun.

The servos were replaced with surplus worm motors. The assembly did not come with a acme nut so I had to cast it out of fiberglass inside the 3/4" cupper coupling (standard house water supply tubing).

 

And this is the result.

All I need to do is wire it up and connect it to a computer. I don't  think it will be going through an Arduino as was originally planned.

 

 

This is one of the accelerometers that will be installed on the robot. It is a surface mount chip so I had to connect these legs to it

 

So that the robot may not be held steadily if a chest was added