Looking for ideas for RAD 2.0
June 16, 2010
Yesterday I picked up a RAD 2.0 robot toy from craigslist for $5. What a steal! Everything works fine, even the old battery seems OK.
This guy stands about 19 inches high and is pretty darn cool. Here's a few of his stock features:
- Articulated arms (shoulders only) open/close for a two-arm gripper
- Articulated waist to bend up/down so he can grab/lift stuff
- Annoyingly loud voice that comments whenever you open/close the arms or move the waist up/down
- Fires three foam missles in a rotating chest mounted Gattling gun via remote (this is really cool)
- Transmits your voice via a mic on the remote control
- Hi and low speed switch mechanically changes gearing
There are a few examples of people hacking or otherwise having fun with this toy, including at least one on LMR. There's lots of room inside for additional electronics, sensors, batteries, etc.
Now that I have seen what RAD 2.0 can do out of the box, and reviewed several examples of mods on the 'Net, I'm interested in gathering some ideas. I ask, 'What Would LMR Do?' (WWLD?)
Some basic ideas:
- Sonar or IR sensor(s) mounted behind eye lenses
- IR or pressure sensors for hands to detect objects
- Multicolor LEDs to replace stock ones with PWM for color/intensity changes
- Upgrade the (very crappy) speaker
- Modify head to allow it to swivel
- Tilt sensor for body to adjust waist up/down so that it maintains level over inclines/declines
- Upgrade 6V/700mAh battery
- Servo control for hi/low gear
- Wireless camera
So, what are your ideas? WWLD?