Let's Make Robots!

"Slunk"

Follows FSHPC (Fritz' Start Here Posted Code), assists in product placement

UPDATE: This project is closed. I'm using the (working) parts for a new bot. But I had a battery question (below).

..................................................

So, I created my own first robot following the Start Here instructions. I was only able to get one picture:

robot_005.jpg

I decided to upgrade the robot itself to look more presentable when i tried to show it off on my favorite website. I would also document this build, step by step.

Materials:
robot_006.jpg

1 Picaxe 28 project board

1 4 AA battery case from RadioShack

1 futaba s3003 servo

1 sharp ir sensor, attached to servo wheel

2 piece-of-crab DC motors from SolarBotics

1+ Red Stribe Jamaican Lager

To each piece-of-crap DC motors from Solarbotics, I've soldered a female jumper. I've also soldered header pins to my project board, for easy hookup/unhookup of motors and sensors.

robot_008.jpg

Sensor hot-glued onto the servo wheel:

robot_010.jpg

 I chose the RadioShack battery case because it had a handy on/off switch. I attached the piece-of-crap DC motors to the removable lid so I don't have to disassemble it to change batteries.

robot_013.jpg

Attach a piece of paint-mixer stick on which to place the servo. A 25-cent plastic toy bubble works as the front wheel.

This leaves some "trunk space" under the power box, where i can tuck away all the extra the wires.

 robot_018.jpg

While tucking connecting the sensor and tucking the wires underneath, disaster struck. the terminal on one of the piece-of-crap Solarbotics DC motor broke. Off. All the way inside the housing:

robot_022.jpg

.... which pretty much puts that motor out of commision until I can get a replacement. 

...To be continued ...

-----------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

okay, so I haven't found new motors for these gears. Instead, I got a Tamiya twin gearbox. It looks so much different that it will end up being a new robot entirely. So this one is finished. Done for.

However, this project brought up a concern:

BATTERIES!!!

The 4 AA battery pack in the picture does not power my 28x project board. I've tested it; 5.25V. But when I connect it to the project board, nothing happens. At all. The first time I connected it, my picaxe got REALLY hot, really quick. So I disconnected it until I could figure out what was going on. I tried monkeying around with it again, and now it doesn't power the board. Any ideas why this would be?

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
I see a potential problem. While Red Stripe is a good lager, Guinness or Smiddicks is the official beer of robot building.

at the point of breaking something, I think the instruction to drink the redstripe(or other tasty beverage) should be in there....

This seems to work when wrenching on my car, so I'd assume it would work well on bots too.  :) 

Ah man that sucks. I have those same motors on order now.. I think I`ll chuck a dab of hot glue on the terminals as soon as I attach wires.

You could try finding some small hobby motors to pop in instead, or even pull the plastic back off the motor and see if theres anything left inside to solder on to.. worth a try maybe :)

I have a motor with the same problem. I managed to get a pair of motors that could be good for small bots, and one of them has a terminal broken off.
well... f***. That really sucks.....