How to make custom and strong tank tracks for very cheap.
Hi, after seeing PROTOS III here on lmr I wanted a robot with big tank tracks even more than I already did, so I made some tank tracks, with slight modifications from calex63, they take some time, but are cheap and easy.
- Bike chains, two bike chain per tank track, you can buy only two and cut them in half with a chain breaker that's what I did.
Each chain was 3€ at the mall, no need for quality shimano or sram chains or anything, cheap ones will do.
- PVC tube, I used 12mm diameter but thicker is good, definitely NOT thinner, that was 1€ for 3meters(I really want to replace the PVC with Al soon)
- Screws and self tightening bolts(the ones with a bit of rubber inside) and screws, my chain fitted M3 screws nicely in the thickest links.
Quantities will depend on how big you want it, count your chain links.
- X-acto knife.
- strong scissors(optional, easier than the knife, but results aren't so good).
- dremel with 3mm drill bit.
Cut tube in half with knife or scissors
Cut some more.
Drill 3mm hole in both extremities and insert 3mm screws
Insert screw in chain's thickest type of link, and tighten self tightening bolt
Do the same for the other side
Keep doing 'till all the thick type links have a bit of tube.
You're done! before doing find what wheels you'd like to use, and drill the holes in the tube halves so it's nice and tight around the wheel, I used roller skate wheels, they are bit too thin, but it's okay.