CNC - my summer obsession
September 27, 2010
Haven't posted anything for awhile - I've been busy building a CNC machine based on this book: Build Your Own CNC Machine (see http://buildyourcnc.com/Book.aspx for more details). The book very thoroughly describes the building techniques necessary to get up and running using the plans in the book and the suggested electronics.
Here are the basic materials I used (exact electronics specified in the book):
- Tons of 3/4" MDF - a little expensive, a little dusty, but easy to work with
- KL23H286-20-8B motors for X, Y, Z axis
- Keling KL4030 stepper motor driver - 1 for each motor
- Keling C10 breakout board
- Keling KL-350-36 36V/8.8 power supply
- Kajillions of bolts of various sizes
- Mach3 CNC software
Here are a few photos for now, maybe I'll post some video as I learn more (I'm a CNC n00b)....
Beta testing :)
All in all, I've spent around 500.00 on the electronics, about the same on everything else. It's been fun, the book is great with only a couple of small errors that I was able to work around.
More to follow...