Let's Make Robots!

Hand Of Bob - Alternative Robonova Robot Grippers - New Video

Finished today, after weeks and weeks of planning and construction, a new pair of hands for my Robonova, inspired by the Mellissa hands. The time taken is a best guestimate, and the cost includes 2 S3003 servos. Most of the stuff was lying around in my shed, apart from the sea fishing crimps and 14BA nuts and bolts (used for the knuckles).

I have no Cad, CNC or machine tools. They were made at home, in my shed, using a minimum of hand tools, and my favourite - the Dremel.

I will be fitting them to the robot over the next few days, and then try and programme it so the hands can pick up stuff etc. Will post a new video when done.






Also, a short video showing the new head I made for him. The original looked too small and didn't move, so it had to go. I'm not that sure about the new look though, so it will probably get changed again in the near future.











Update 26/10/2010

Well, got may hands onto the Robonova, and managed to programme a couple of moves. Not brilliant, but I'm pleased with the way they work.








They do have some restrictions, like they can't pick up directly from the floor, so I have made a pair of grippers. I'll be fitting them shortly.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.



Let's assume I was building some that were not going to be mounted to a small robot; in otherwords weight was not big issue....  Do you think some type of small drive chain (bicycle chain?) could be used for the 'fingers'?  Also, I see the yellow wire looking thing that is used to form the grip and attached to the servos.  If that yellow wire or a semi ridgid yellow plastic tube?

Cool hands.


This is fantastic work, wow :)

Are you still using these hands on your Robonova? They are so well crafted, great job. Thanks for the vids.

They aren't actually on the Robonova at the moment, as I am trying to do things with the grippers I made.

You can see those in action here.


That is really nice and great work!!!  Liked the video too!!  build on!

I've got plans for a new head, shortly, and hopefully will post a video.

Awesome 3rd video with the hands fitted on Robonova! I think they look great.

So you've replaced the head and the hands. Any other body part replacements coming for Robonova?

Well, the hands are coming off, as they don't pick up from the floor very well, and the grippers are going on.

I don't much like the head, now, and since the little micro-servo has burnt out :( , a new head will be forthcoming.

Hopefully, it will include a new optic nerve. (Sort of)

That is absolutely stunning work Kelpy!

I love the craftsmanship and the effort you put in to this. There is a lesson to be learnt for all of us LMR users. Don't just hot glue everything together, -put some effort and love in to your work. You don't need a massive CNC machine to make something great. Just time and devotion.


Thank you, Geir.

To be honest, they are not that great close up, but they did give me enormous satisfaction when they worked as expected.

Your comments (and the hands themselves), have made all the time taken, to be totally worth while.