October 25, 2010
You may not remember from way back when, but since March 2010 new members have to pass a tiny little quiz before we will allow them onto LMR. The main reason for this was the onslaught of spam on the site.
And it helped a lot! The number of spammers that get through have dropped dramatically! I guess they choose to move along and pester some other poor blogger.
But this week I got a feeling that we perhaps should update this quiz. Judging from a few spam incidents this week, I think we should simply change the questions and perhaps make it 10% harder to find the answers. Please comment below if you have any great ideas.
Remember, the questions must obey these guidelines:
- Any new user should be able to find the answer on the indicated page. Including people who don't use English as a native language.
- The answers should be short and unambiguous. Spelling errors should be impossible to make.
- Forcing new people to look up the answers helps to introduce them to the Start Here instructions and The Rules of LMR. This serves as a forced intro.
The existing Quiz reads:
Welcome as a member of letsmakerobots.com. To prevent spam (or at least make sure the spammers are into robot building), please solve this quiz:
1) If you have never made a robot before, it is no problem. Just look at the top menu, "Start here", where you will also find the answer to this first question:
- What is the "Center position" for a servo in picaxe basic? Hint: it is a number greater than 75 and less than 225.
2) There is a fantastic good tone on LMR. However, we have made some rules, they can be found on the top menu. Question number 2 is:
- What word should I never write as the first word in any posts?
3) This is not even a question. This is just to make the spammers think that the quiz is harder than it is. You only have to answer number one and two. Welcome, friend.
If you think the answer is "325" and "Hello", please write 325hello here"