Building a multi servo robot
December 24, 2010
The parts arrived in the mail! Here they are:
Of course, I need to make servo brackets now and decide what I will build, a humanoid or an insectoid? Perhaps I'll start with a quad or hexapod and after I'll make brackets I'll take it apart and build a biped.
Oh, I am still waiting on the µServotino board to arrive. As soon as it gets here, I'll make a presentation page for it.
I'll update with more pictures as the build goes on...
Update Dec. 26th 2010:
After a lot of research on the net to find something that little or no one has done before, I have decided to try my luck building a 12 DOF quad. I have found a model that will look interesting and started CAD-ing the parts to make the chassis and cover. The robot will have a completed finish, although I don't know yet if I'll use acrylic to make it or some light plywood (balsa?) and paint it afterwards. I remember somewhere that acrylic can be painted, since I have no idea where to find tinted acrylic sheet locally. Perhaps a nice metal paint job will make it look more "natural". I can have the parts cut out on a laser CNC at a local makershop, but I want to try to make them on my CNC first. Wish me good luck!
Update Feb. 21st 2011:
Finaly I got off and started to build a prototype. After a whole day of work in my closet (yeah, that's where I build stuff) I have something to play with until I'll get the proper acrylic parts cut. It took a lot of time to cut parts, drill, dremel, file and put them all together, take them apart to swap things around, make more wholes, try different stand-offs, solder battery connectors (I did not order mating terminals for the batteries). I thought it will never end. But there it was, all wires and wood sticks, ready to be programmed with the basics: center the servos, so I can put the horn screws in. But the green light did not shine. Ok, charge the battery. To my surprise, the charger said broken connection! I verify with the multimeter and the 7.4V battery was showing 3.9V... Uh-oh.... I measure the 3 pin balancing connector and on the red wire I got 3. something and on the blue wire I got 0.7V... I thought I should get a similar voltage to the red wire, as there are 2 cells in series... That means one of the cells is likely dead. Since I cut off the original connector, I can't return the battery, I'll have to order another one, this time with the proper connectors. Mean while, I removed the uBEC and the battery and replaced them with a regular 4 AA holder, but this just lets the servos jump a little at start and then it's all dead. Not enough current it seems... I'll try with different batteries tomorrow. And I'll take some pics, now it's late and I already connected half of the servos wrong...