Continuous rotating/normal servo - all in one
This is a short tutorial how you get a servo for continuous running AND normal servo mode for a few bucks. You can switch between the modes in setting an additional pin high or low.
1) Open the servo and desolder the PCB. Remember the connections for motor and potentiometer
2) Remove the mechanical stop on the gear
3) Remove the potentiometer and modify it according to picture below. At least Hitec servos have this kind of potentiometer. Assemble the potentiometer and put it back on its original place
4) Prepare the servo as following
5) Make a small additional perfboard according to this circuit diagram and connect everything accordingly
I am using a TAKAMISAWA A5W-K PCB relay. They are very tiny, just like a 10 pin DIL chip and they are DIL socket compatible:
This is how my first prototype looked like:
6) You are done. Using a Sharp IR or ping on your servo, your robot can now not only look to the front, left and right, it can also look to the back!