Z-39 was "Yet Another Tracked Bot" - Build blog
Now that the Phoenix CNC works good enough to do some real work, I have finally started working on a new project:
YATB - Yet Another Traked Bot - at least until I find a better name for it
I will try to document it's building saga here, before creating a robot page for it.
So without further intro:
Phase one: Tracks
First I have done some Blender designing, I came to design something roghly as below:
Yup classic tank design to start with, one motorized wheel, one idler, 4 idlers on spring suspensions.
Next I had to flatten the parts and arrange them in a way I can export them to DXF for further processing:
Then I have imported the DXF into Caduntu (free QCad clone) because the DXF export of Blender seems to be kind of broken and it cannot be safely opened in other software, fixed the alignment then saved again.
After that I had to do a lot of trickery to get the file in Heekscad to create the toolpathes for milling. I must say that while Heekscad and the Heekscnc plugin are great work, man it is so damn unstable :( Things that used to work fine now crash ... I guess the guys are pushing development too fast ... Anyway I managed to create the toolpath after a lot of waisted time.
No picture, I was to busy crashing all the time sorry.
Finally I did a test cut:
And the above came out :)
There is more coming, I've been cutting 4-5 hours Saturday and another round yesterday, al lot of small pieces to do still.
Will update, stay tuned.
Phase 2: Gearbox
Built the first gearbox, it works yeah!
Not perfect by any means but definetly usable.
And video of it turning on 3V below.
Phase 3: I got a half of ... tank like something
Final gearbox assembly
And the mandatory video below :)