Camera that can do everything - call for suggestions
March 26, 2011
I need your suggestions and recommendations.
What if I were to buy a fancy camera for a robot? I want it to be able to do pretty much everything. And still fit on my robot.
Let's see first what "everything" means. This list can grow as you make suggestions in the comments.
- shoot video at nice resolutions
- store video locally on digital media
- send live video over a cable to a computer
- send live video over a wireless link to a user far away (up to, say, 250 meter)
- visible light only
- daylight conditions
- survive a rain shower
- be light weight (not sure how light it must be exactly)
- shoot stills at nice resolutions
- store stills locally on digital media
- local media are accessible over cable to computer
- camera can be operated by micro controller or proper computer over a cable
- create time lapsed series of stills or videos
- <your suggestion here>
Some of these requirements are ridiculous, I know. But for a hacker, all or most of them should be makable. I could take a standard device and throw a micro controller at it. Or a mini computer. Or a RC receiver. Or a video transmitter. Or a combination of those.
How would I connect all those extras to a camera? All suggestions are welcome: cameras, web shops, howtos, examples, cool videos, first hand experiences and anecdotes.