Getting the internets to talk to my robot.
June 13, 2011
I swear I did my googling first. The problem actually, is a bit of info overload. Need some simple answers...
I would like to start looking at "connections to the internet", software on the PC and robot-brains. Assuming that the microcontroller part of things would just be a I/O device via say, Bluetooth, I think I am really asking about the connection from "internet" to software on my computer.
I should also add that I am leaning in the direction of Processing or Processing.js. I speak this language and from the searching I have done, it seems it is sorta ready to do what I want to do.
What do I want to do? What DO I want to do? In the end, I want to add more personallity and features to Mr. Walter. Brainstorming on this would include:
- Control of walter (being able to send it data) via an internet connection
- Abliltiy to keep an eye on different "feeds"
- RSS (maybe he can read me updated blog entries)
- News feeds
- Posiblility of getting video from Walter and on to the web --I am thinking less "Ustream" here and more "raw video" being dealt with via HTML code on my own site
- Bottom line --Some kinda data from, or inputed to, the internet and that data coming out of my processing app.
Now, I have a computer and the internet and processing, obviously. I also have a net server module as well. I have also seen many of the "netserver" tutorials. I suppose if I wanted to do a very specific thing, I could probably find a specific tutorial for that one thing. In this case, I think I am looking to start leaning how the whole "web thing" works from the beginning. I have no idea about ip addresses and networks and mac addresses etc. I feel I should really how this all works instead of just typing 192.168.1.252 into some netserver example code and going from there.
Where can I learn this stuff? --or-- What are the correct words to use when I am googling?