Chumby - Ro-Bot-X's Living Room & MyRobotLab
June 13, 2011
Ro-Bot-X and I are working together even though we are 2500 miles away !
Hey Look... I can see Ro-Bot-X's living room through the eye of the bot he's currently working on ! (Hopefully he won't mind me posting it :) )
It was a challenge and learning experience getting the OpenCV running on the Chumby. It required cross compiling binaries on a Linux X86 PC --to--> ARM 9 with a tool chain.
I'm making two new Services in MRL. A Chumby service which will interface with all of the hardware a Chumby has to offer and simplify/standardize it so other Services can use it. And a ChumbyBot service which will contain the behaviors and personality of the little bot.
His board handles Motors a little differently than the 2 way's I am familiar with, so well figure that out and put it in the Motor service with configuration.
I'm beginning to like the little Chumby. It runs Linux and has support for USB, I2C, Video, Microphone, Stereo Speakers, Wifi, Touch-Screen, FM Radio, even an Accelerometer.. and for just $90 on Amazon or lower on ebay
We are just starting to connect the wires and pipes together, but I think the hardest part was the OpenCV support...
What current works
- Remote communication from 2500 miles away attached to my MRL instance
- OpenCV webcam and remote control of vision filters (facedetection, color isolation, LKOptical tracking, etc)
- Web control through an MRL applet
- Remote GamePad control
- TextToSpeech with sexy Audrey voice
Things to test
- MRL/Sphinx4 Speech recognition
- Audio Recording and PlayBack through MRL
- HTTP getting info on the intertubes - jokes, daily news, shoutbox data etc.
- Fancy Sound generation (Drums, Sax, Guitar etc through MRL & JFugue)
- Play Chess? (Thanks Patrick :D)
Things to develop
- Encapsulate Chumby's hardware in a easy to use Service
- Behaviors and Personality for ChumbyBot
- Augment Motor to handle uBotuino's method of control
We will make sure all the lower level stuff works well (Motors, Servos, Sensors, etc) then I believe Ro-Bot-X was interested in grabbing colored objects around the house (cleaning? dunno)
The frame rate of the camera is pretty lousy, but he said he got it for $5.. To reduce the lag as its shipped 2500 miles you can drop the color.
Here I tried isolating the red square out of his carpet... Unfortunately, he has not mounted the thing on a base or camera on a servo.. but that will come shortly...