Let's Make Robots!

Arduino Android

Remote control or obstacle avoidance

The other day I was staring at my trash bin and there's an idea comes up in my mind. Since my wife is not home for while I think I should be able to do something about it. So, here you go. The progress of how AA was born.

 

Once upon a time, he was a trash bin:

Cut some spare pipe and cut 2 balls into half:(did I say 2 balls?)

Put wheels at bottom and he get new feet:

Seal the head and hand, also put servos into arms as joint:

Give it some color and cut a square on body to fit the brackets:

OK, we almost got the shell done.

Now step into electronic parts, (upside down the body, does this looks familier to you?) I use Arduino Mega and 2A H bridge.

I modified the head to make it looks more rusty and old style. Using RJ45 to connect 2 RGB LEDs as eyes.

Since the head modified, I should make the body old and rusty too. I drill a hole so I don't have to take out the Arduino out everytime I update the program. The door was using magnets(4 inside and 4 on door.) because I am lazy to do anymore screw works.

This is how he looks from back (R2D2 mutant now?):

In the front, I cut more holes for LCD and 2 range sensors and paint it in black so it looks like a belt and give it a bit stylish.

2 switch for main power and motor battey at back.

A shoot inside AA:

Ahrrr...................

Here we go, AA is alive.

AA will have 2 modes to switch in between AUTO/MANUAL control.

I know it's probablly too much photo here but I want to give you more info and instead of my terrible English I am afraid won't be detail enough for some of you so I rather use photos to show you how it been made. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Before my wife come back from Taiwan with my new born son, I only got limit time to enjoy this robot making time. I don't know if I can make other furniture into toys.

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Mintoris Basic now has Bluetooth support for Android 2.1 and higher.  If you are familiar with Picaxe Basic you will find Mintoris Basic very similar.  Just search for it on the Android market.

Cool! The first android ever to survive direct hit by a nuclear bomb :D He is just amaising! Very, very nice!

This looks excellent for scaring a newborn baby! ; j

Your wife had better stay close to home, or you will start converting the crib into a walking robot.

Very fun and cool to watch. Thanks for sharing.

A picture says more than 1000 words ;-)

Well done and remembers me on my pending project, the real R2D2 (just pending in my head right now). I like the stylish finish and the switch panel. How do you want to control it maually...IR or radio?

Edit: Oh, congrats to your new born baby boy \o/

Thanks~ I am using Xbee for now. Looking forward to see your R2D2!!

You probably already have this site bookmarked if you're into Artoo, but just in case you don't:

 

http://www.astromech.net/

 

 

 

Haha, looks nice! You should write an app so you can control it from an Android phone!

Haha, Sure I will try to. Waiting for my Android ADK to come and see how it goes ;)

However, I do have questions. It seems generating so much noises when I enable the servos. Motors got effected, LED got effected and LCD got effected, too. Before I start programming servo part and unplug it everything seems normal as it suppose to be. Could be the way I program it or the way I wire it? I have 2 11.1V lipos, one for motors and one for main board and regulated down to 6V by using 7806 to shield for external power for serovs.

Very nice.. although it is not Bender I can imagine it saying "Kill all humans!"

As for your servo problem. It is more likely to be a sudden drop in voltage when they power up. I had a similar problem with Chopsticks.

All motors draw high current on startup. If your cables and / or batteries are not good enough then you will get a big voltage drop. If your power to the servos drops low enough (about 3V) then it can cause the "H" bridge in the servo to malfunction at which point it shorts your power supply.

Use heavy duty cable for all your power connections,

Try adding some capacitors in parallel with your servo power connections as shown. If this is not enough then add a 2200uF capacitor across your Arduinos power input.