Let's Make Robots!

Dagu Rover 5 shedding tracks on turns

Hi guys, Hope this is the right forum. I'm building a robot based on the Dagu Rover 5 chassis and experiencing problems with it shedding it's tracks. The motor angle is about 45 degs. Anybody had any experience with these and stopping the tracks coming off (even on smooth hardwood floor) during a turn? I'm hoping someone has done a modification or something to keep them on, other wise this Robot may be getting itself converted to tires :-( Thanks guys Shane

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share a couple of modifications I found useful in keeping the tracks on a Rover 5.

First, if the gearboxes are "bowed" outward from each other, they may be pulled back in alignment with a four 2" 4-40 machine screws, two 1" threaded standoffs, four 3/8" treaded standoffs and eight nuts.

The second modification is to remove the rims from the wheels. It seems counter intuitive, but the rims don't keep the tracks in place. The track behaves much better is the wheels have a barrel shape.

I've posted more information, videos and pictures here.

If any of you have come up with other ways to keep the tracks from coming off your Rover 5 robots, I'd really like to hear about it.

The newer Rover 5 Chassis's being sold now have a modified wheel shape that keeps the tread on much better. You can also change the angle of the motors. This increases your ground clearance and reduces tension on the treads.

Hello everybody!

I've got the same problem with this platform. Of course, it only occurs when the robot is on carpets or rough terrain. The gearboxes are placed in the most outward position (both are parallel to the horizontal axis), so that the tracks are as stretched as possible. I also checked what OddBot mentioned in the previous comment and everything seems to be allright. I guess a relevant detail would be the fact that the robot I built on this platform became quite heavy (about 2-3 kgs so far when fully loaded). Even though the torque is more than enough for handling the weight, could this be the root of the track-shedding problem? 

Did anyone find an effective solution to overcome this problem? Such as building additional mounts or guides for the tracks or anything like that. 

Thanks,
David. 

I think weight is definitely the problem in your case.

The problem with the rubber treads is that the more weight you put on them the better they grip and the more they will try to peel off the wheels when turning. In this case the stretchy treads is actually a disadvantage since they can deform more easily to get over the rims.

With so much weight on the chassis your best bet would be to attach some smooth plastic skids to the treads so they do not grip so well.

 

So, basically, should I find a way to reduce the friction coefficient between the tracks and the ground? This makes sense, as the problem doesn't appear very often when the robot is on less-adherent surfaces such as the kitchen/bathroom floor. I'll try to cover the threads with different materials (without damaging them, of course) and tell you what I've managed to solve.

Thank you.

on their feet because they can't feel the floor. Would one wrap around the tracks with a similar tape work?

I tried that yesterday. As OddBot said, it's kinda difficult to put it around the tracks.

Something that came into my mind was to smooth down the outside edges of the tracks. This way, when lateral motion occurs (as the robot spins), the tracks don't have the tendency of hanging onto the irregularities of the terrain. It has visibly reduced the amount of shedding when the robot is on carpets, but this still occasionally happens.

Yes, try trimming the square edges with some side cutters to create 45 degree angles on the treads. Don't trim too much, no more than 1mm.

I had considered mentioning this earlier but it is difficult to put tape on the treads in such a way it wont peel off.

I had the same problem, but it only occured when the robots was moving over unstable surfaces such as cushions from the living room. I placed soem double sided tape on each wheel about 3cm x 3cm which gave the tracks more grip to the wheels. And now the tracks stay on on most surfaces but slip a little when turning fast.

 

Reg.