Rocket Brand Robot Test Facility
I have removed robot wheels to remove dog hair one too many times...
This is my new test facility. Built from a 4x8 sheet of whiteboard material and some cheap #2 pine, the basic frame went together pretty quick with nothing more than simple, basic construction techniques. The lift mechanism is (2) window motors from a Hyundai Elantra. --I have to recommend these motors, they are awesome! Super powerful with a nice big gear exposed to weld to, and they even come in left and right models. Not to mention, they only draw a few amps each. The switches are just center-off, DPDT momentary guys from the store of which we do not speak (Shady 'o Rack). A 7.2v racing pack provides the power.
The steel work was pretty simple but a little time consuming, done with just an angle grinder and a drill press -nothing fancy. All-in-all, it took me a few hours one night to build the frame and most of the next afternoon to do the metal work. I think I spent around 100 bucks or so on the whole thing.
Lower and retract work flawlessly with the exception of one motor working just slightly faster than the other --I added a second switch to allow the motors to be switched independently and now all is right in the world.