Let's Make Robots!

FP-01 Robot

This is my first robot. I was inspired to start creating after seeing the Yellow Drum Machine by Frits, and I originally was building a drum robot. After experimenting with interfacing though, I started to put more of my effort into creating a remote controlled robot. My primary interest is still in making autonomous robots though and I'd like to give him more functionality in that area later on.


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Did you get this camera from dynaspy.com? Cool robot by the way! Is the frame made from carboard?

I got the camera from Amazon. I can try to find the link if you really want it. It was pretty inexpensive. The frame is made from foam board. It's really cheap, lightweight, and good for prototyping. When I come up with a permanent design I'd like to use a different material though.

Impressive bot Indeed. 

this looks cool, i'll sub!

This is really an amazing robot.  It has a ton of features you normally don't see in a first robot.  What an excellent job.  I love what you did with the arms and head.  I especially like robots that look like robots (as in TV and movies) and this one is great that way.  Thanks for sharing.  -Hal

Thank's a lot Hal! I think I did go a little bit overboard with features, I probably should have started out with something simpler, but it was fun regardless. Aestetics are always important to me as well, I'm glad you appreciated the look of the robot.

How did you transmit the video to a computer? I would be interested to see from my robot's point of veiw. And awesome robot, by the way.

Hey Gabriel, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. There are much better ways of doing this, but I just took the cheapest route. The camera was on sale for like 10-20 dollars, and transmitted wirelessly to a box which had VGA cables. I was lucky enough to find a very cheap VGA to USB converted, and voila. If you are still interested, and I can go back and look exactly what the components were and try to find you links. It definitely wasn't the best way of going about this, but from my research - it definitely seemed like the cheapest. It did provide the fun challenge, of trying to operate your robot in a different room without seeing it.