Failed at the first hurdle!
January 20, 2012
I'm asking for advice as I've failed at the first hurdle with my Start Here Robot. I thought I would first make an LED flash using the PICAXE chip but so far I cannot connect to the chip to upload the software!
I am using a PICAXE28X1 and an AXE020 project board as bought in the lovely Start Here bundle!
- I've got the chips in place as in the Start Here instructions (only difference is that my resistor chip is a black chip not yellow).
- I've installed PICAXE Programming Editor and the USB Serial Driver.
- In the software I can now go to View > Options and port COM 11 shows as "Ready for Use AXE027 PICAXE USB" (woo hoo!).
- I've got a battery box with four rechargable AA batteries. I checked the voltage was in the 4.5v - 5.0v range (It was about 4.83v).
- I've connected the battery box to the project board using croc clips (no sparks, no smoke)!
- Connect the data cable for the project board
- I click on the "Check Firmware Version..." button and....
Error - Hardware not found on COM 11
I've double checked all my connection, triple checked them and all I can get is the same error message!
Can anyone suggest something I've overlooked?
Could I have fried a chip at some point and if so is there anyway of checking?
Any suggestions would be apreciated as I'm pretty stuck!