The Revenge of the Yellow(Arduino) Drum Machine
I am working on an Arduino powered Yellow Drum Machine. I have all of the physical parts functional. Now I am working on the code. I have just completed translating all of Frits's songs to the format I need. Now I just need to coordinate the control structure to allow it to autonomously move around, make decisions, and to play its little heart out. More later...
I needed to have a larger base to attach the solenoids to. The gray material is a scrap plastic I got from ordering polystyrene for vacuum-forming. I don't know what type it is, but it it fairly brittle. I cut it out using a jig saw
Here it is attached to the base with self-tapping screws.
.This is a closeup of the oid connection to the hihat drum stick.
This is the robot base I used. It can be found be searching for "Six leg walking type gearbox kit Elenco 21-13".
I don't know how specific anyone wants me to get. I killed two of the Radio Shack sound recorders. I'm not sure what happened. They worked for a while, and then the playback just died. So I ended up using this Sparkfun recorder/playback breakout board. It is working fine as of now.
I tried the Sparkfun sound sensor, but couldn't get it to work. I read a post that this sensor was very good, so I built it from scratch. It works great!
My little drum machine uses the PING))) and a CDS photocell and the sound sensor to react to the environment. It chooses songs based on the data it has collected about its surroundings. The gearbox base gives it a fun movement - it kind of wobbles and drifts as it moves. The gearbox also has little legs you can use instead of the disk wheels. I have programmed in several behaviors. I used a timer library to call random behaviors every 10 seconds. 30% of the time it will search out an object and then beat a funky beat.
I will continue to work on the code. I would like to use the piezo speaker to play little melodies as it moves around its environment. I think that's it unless anyone is interested in more specifics.