Let's Make Robots!

Lift robot

Collect small objects and place them in a basket.

Here it is the "lift robot". It will grab an object and after that it will place it on a basket. It uses the tracks of the very famous "yellow drum machine" and a lot of wood :) Actually I am planning to replace the wood parts by acrylic very soon.

The main body of the robot is made with the tracks of Solarbotics, a TV antenna piece, a part of a small toy, the Picaxe 28x1 and the battery holder. I plan to re-use this base for multiple robots...

Updated: This short video was recorded on July 03 ==>

 

 

 

==========================================================================================

Updated on July 03

Finally I got all the pieces assembled! The GM3 motor is doing a great job lifting the weight without trouble and connecting the second L293D was much more easier than I expected. I get a little problem though, the robot is rolling forward, that is why I will need to add some counter weight at the back or a ball caster under the frame. Hopefully this will be fixed on the next update. 

 

THE GRABBER.

The grabber is made out of 2 gears of the Vex Gear Kit, one micro-servo and many acrylic parts.

It has been changed too.  All wood parts were replaced by acrylic. This process was a bit long but at the end I really like the look of the new grabber. To cut and bend the acrylic I followed the techniques on this link

First version of wood2nd version of acrylic [updated on July 03]

 

============================================================================================

 

This is the top of the robot. This robot takes 2 driver-motors, 1 for the tracks and 1 for the pulley. Actually I got a lot of fun connecting the second driver-motor (the one on the blue mini-board) to the Picaxe 28x1. Also, I get some trouble finding the right motor to be controlled due to the starting current. Fortunately the GM3 gear motor solved my problem with the starting current...

 

Here some pictures of the GM3 gear motor that will pull up all the weight. I read on the documentation that the double-flat output shaft on the GM3 gear is ideal to take rotational load.

 

 

This is the frame and pulley that will support the grabber. I got the pulley and a metallic bar from an old Meccano and the frame is made out of some bars, glue and clues.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Honestly I never thought about the ball caster. I saw them before on some “Development Platforms” but I didn’t know how they were called. I just check the robot and a 3/8" diameter size could fit under the frame after a little work.

Nice advice!

 

Nice work Juan. Have't seen a crane system on a robot for a while. 

The Vex Gear Kit is a nice finding - there is always a need for gears. The reuse of Meccano parts is a good idea too. I have just found a big bag of Swiss Meccano (Stockys) in a fleemarket. Got me tons of material to robotify.

Wooden robots have a lot of charme - where the acrylic look futuristic. Keep in mind that the acryl is a lot heavier than the wood you use (Wood density starts from around 0.4 * 10^3 kg/m3, Acryl starts from around 1.2 * 10^3 kg/m3). This can introduce different challenges on motor momentums and so forth...

Keep up the good work.

I didn’t though about the density of the acrylic, thanks for the advice, I will see soon how it does affect the operation of the crane.

The Meccano parts saved me some work! On the very first design I was using more of them but now just the 2 orange pulleys. I already tested the crane lifting a small weight and it worked very nice !

 

 

great going...

hoping a video in Action soon...

I hope it will lifting objects in 2 weeks ;)