I have been wanting to build another printer and was looking for a small, simple design. I ran into the printrbot guys and more specifically, the Printrbot LC (laser cut). I was quite impressed with the simplicity of the design, and set off to replicate my own. I found the Printrbot design files over at thingiverse and started pulling dimensions from it. From there, I redrew the whole design allowing for a few design changes and any change needed to work with the aluminum stock I planned use. In total, I probably had 40 hours into the draw-up.
The whole machine was milled on my CNC using only an 1/8" endmill. No tool changes were done during any cut. In the end, I had used a total of (3) 1/8" two-flute carbide bits to get the whole job cut. It took a total of 3 days to cut the whole job, including set-up time, clamping etc. I think total time with the motor running and the bit cutting was around 8-10 hours. I cut at around 15 in/min, .01" DOC per pass, and I use a Kool Mist system on the bit (which is the best $100 I have ever spent)
- 12"x24"x.125" 6061 aluminum sheet
- 12"x4"x1/2" 6061 aluminum barstock
- 4"x1"x.125" 6063 aluminum box tube
- (5) NEMA23 78 oz/in steppers
- RAMPS 1.2 board and drivers
- Knock-off Arudino Mega
- 20x4 LCD, quad encoder and button for "Ultipanel"
- BlueSmirf Gold Bluetooth module
I am running Marlin and I have the Ultipanel selected. To be honest, I don't know how people print (or at least set-up and calibrate) without being able to adjust settings on-the-fly. I love my LCD, I love my knob, I love my button. --I will never own a machine without these features.
My total usable build area is just shy of 125mm x 125mm. The total size of the glass is a bit more than that (150x150) however, I "shrunk" the printable size so I never had to worry about hitting the clips holding the glass. (This is mainly an issue during homing).
All in all, I love my new printer. The prints themselves are perfect. The machine is almost silent. It is as fast as I allow it to go and a nice, tidy design. Yup, this is the one I will be using for a while now.
More information at: