Let's Make Robots!

Mega Mini Motor Shield (M3)

A dual h-bridge driver that plugs in shield style to Mega Mini

I finally got in my Mega Mini Motor (M3) shield that I designed.  I was surprised, after populating the board: It actually worked.  The board came about after making the Arduino Mega Mini.  I noticed I wouldn't really be reducing the bulk of my bot because of the amount of wiring it would take to get logic to the Arduino Motor Driver shield I was using.  Therefore, I set out to design a motor driver shield that would plug right into the MegaMini.  I broke out Eagle and some datasheets on an assortment of ICs.  

I started out working with the L298D chip, but quickly got frustrated with the way it set on the MegaMini footprint.  Plus, the flyback diodes were pissing me off.  I had remembered reading that the SN754410 had internal ESD diodes.  I started playing with the chip layout and got a board design I was pretty happy with.  

I'll attempt a full write up later;I'm pretty mentally fatigued from learning html/css (I know, easy.  But as many know by now, cognitively, I'm as slow as a snail on salt.)

Eagle Files are here: M3

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
And thank you for sharing the Eagle files. Minis need more accessories!