Let's Make Robots!

Picaxe 08m2 Hotness / Solved - Chip was dead.

I want to make a ring of light for my robot but when i try to program or just give power to the picaxe 08m2 chip it get's hot, really really hot.

- I just got the picaxe 08 proto board http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/Project-Boards/PICAXE-08-Proto-Board/

- and the picaxe 08m2 chip http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/PICAXE-Chips/PICAXE-08M2-microcontroller/

I doesn't matter if i put the programming jumper on programming or out.

I thought maybe a small heatsink would work, but i think it get's to hot for a small heatsink.

Does someone know what the problem could be? Or know a solution?

 

  Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Duane Degn's picture

If you took a good picture of your setup one of these guys might be able to spot a problem with the wiring.

RTGRVNSSLT's picture

Juchen's picture

Your board looks just like my one. Of course we can't see if there are shorts on the other sides. Some rather unlikely ideas of the problem. Did you get any response to progmamming attemp or firmware check?

 

1. Are you sure that your battery source polarity matches colour code of your power connection? Check with multimeter.

 

2. I can't see the text on the chip. Very unlikely but however, could it be other chip than 8m2 by accident?  :)

RTGRVNSSLT's picture

I checked of the polarity was right, it is right. 

I checked the other possibilities, and found out that the chip was dead, so time for a new one.

Thanks for you reactions,

bdk6's picture

Before replacing the chip, you might want to try to understand "why" it went bad.  I can offer a few things to consider, but only you know all the circumstances so you will have to do your best to prevent it happening again.  Some ideas:

Overvoltage:  you applied too high voltage to the power pins ( 6 AA batteries instead of 3, etc)

Overcurrent:  You tried to control a device that required too much current from the Picaxe ( a motor )

Reverse Voltage:  You applied the power supply reversed

Wrong Pins:  Power applied to the wrong pins (inserting chip misaligned or backwards, poor wiring)

Static Discharge:  Static build up in your body or other places can discharge through the chip, damaging or destroying it, without you even noticing.  They aren't as sensitive as they used to be, but still proper handling is important.

Other:  There are quite a few other things that could have happened, but these are the most common.  If you suspect something else, you can google for "xxx damage to IC" and see if that is viable, or ask here.

Good luck

RTGRVNSSLT's picture

1. I can't check that right now, because for one reason my multimeter just died, at once.(will be getting a new one tommorow)

2. It is (i know it for 100% sure) a picaxe 08m2 picaxe. 

AndyGadget's picture

What about testing the chip out-of-circuit as I've suggested below.

If it heats up it will definitively prove you've got a blown chip.

RTGRVNSSLT's picture

As soon a possible i will post a picture.

pberns's picture

Take a multimeter and set it on the Amps scale.  With the chip out, connect the + battery to the + terminal of the board.  Connect the plus cable from the multimeter to the - of the board and the minus cable back to the minus of the battery.  This should tell you if you have a short on the board.  Other than that, my guess would be the same as AndyGadget that the chip is in backwards.   Good luck.

Maxhirez's picture

There's a confusing little aspect of that protoboard-it has what in the US is a 9v battery terminal attachment but you really aren't supposed to put more than 5v through it.  If you're using a 9v battery the chip would probably heat up and won't last long.