Almost done with LDM construction
April 14, 2008
Ahh, I've made a lot of progress. LDM is now almost complete, construction-wise. I still want to cram in a second drumstick up front somewhere, and of course I need to attach that sampling board hanging out in space (I'll probably just hot-glue it to the side), but there's enough there to start working on the code.
I've got some basic navigation and drum-playing code done. It all needs refinement, but at least there's a foundation done. The navigation routine only looks for large flat surfaces like walls right now. It works, but not as well as I'd like, because I'm getting some unreliable numbers from the SRF05. Pretty often, the robot will be at an angle to the wall, like a foot away, and the SRF will report that all three directions are within an inch or two of each other, so it thinks it's lined up and goes to town. Gotta figure out where the problem is.
My "approach the wall" code also needs work. Rather than staying an inch or two away like he's supposed to, often he'll end up pressed right up against it, and since my drumstick is right up at the front of the robot, there's no space for it to swing. Maybe I should have mounted it leaning farther back somehow,
So yeah, plenty left to do, but I'm getting there. Woo!