March 8, 2009
This afternoon got off to an auspicious start. The problems I was having loading AXEpad onto my Mac seemed to have had disappeared since Thursday. An hour later, I had the USB successfully loaded. (For Mac users wondering how this is done, make sure you read the USB Setup section of the Picaxe manual. One thing the manual neglects to tell you is that you have to also download a piece of software called a serial driver, which you can get for free from FTDI.com or from Rev-Ed's website. Once you have all the software properly downloaded you have to then activate the USB port in the Network Settings section of your System Preferences folder. Hint: got to "Network Port Configurations" on the drop-down bar just above where it lists the status of your internet connection.)
After getting the software all hooked up, it was time to start programming.
Except it wasn't. Because apparently the robot Gods hate me.
I plugged in this basic command:
servo 0, 150
..and nothing happened.
servo 0, 200
...and nothing happened.
But I can't for the life of me figure out why. Everything seems to be in order.
The software seems to be working fine. After I enter a piece of code, it loads for a few seconds. Then I get a screen saying that the command has successfully been sent. So I don't see any problem with that.
After reading some of the forums here, I thought maybe I had gotten one of the A.4 "glitchy" versions, but when I went to check I saw that in fact I have an A.5 one. So that theory's dead.
Then I went to the manual and figured out how to run a system test. In the picture to the left you can see that I've attached an LED to output 4, and also inserted another 330 resistor. After connecting the LED, I gave this command:main:high 4
Again, nothing. Not even a flicker.
I've spent hours and hours looking on this and the PICAXE forum to see if I can locate a solution to this problem. But I just have no idea what's going on. It seems unlikely that this has anything to do with bad parts. I am certain that I am doing something wrong, but I just have no idea what it is.
Everything appears to be hooked up properly. The software is all installed correctly. The soldering job isn't pro or anything, but at least for the extra pin on the servo 0 row, it isn't fatally bad.
I'm just really confused and really frustrated. I don't really even know what to try next. I suppose I can solder a pin to the 7 row, and try the servo there. But otherwise, I'm at my wit's end.
Here's to hoping tomorrow is a better day.