Ok this is a project I have wanted to do for a while now and have finally started since I needed a good topic for my Senior Exit Project.
So far I have attached the two wheel chair motors that I stole (only paid $25 for the entire chair) to a sturdy platform, and added a caster in front. Doesn’t sound like much but, it is what it is for the time bean. My intent is to basically build an oversized Boe-Bot (Parallax) you know just a nice maneuverable platform that I can add sensors to and just play around with different things.
Stuff that I want to do with it but just need to find time for/ read up on:
1. IR – To since obstacles and stuff, also I love Chris’s IR Beacon idea (have the stuff)
2. Sonar – General obstacle detection and distance measuring (would need to purchase)
3. GPS – Would be awesome to have this thing drive around campus next year all on its own (have the GPS chip, but its 3.5v and my BS2P is 5v logic, any ideas)
4. Encoders – On the wheels for PID control (have two just need to make an adapter)
5. Vision – Played around with MSRS a little (have webcam)
6. Wi-FI – Have an old laptop and desktop so the only thing I need is a (piece of software)
7. Power – I want to get some better batteries (two 12v 18Ah would be nice)
Like I said so far I have just mounted the motors. Right now I’m working on speed controllers; I’m trying to design them around the HIP4082IP MOSFET driver. So if you have any thoughts on that they’d be appreciated.