MediBot - My First Photovore
This represents my first attempt at any robot. Not the happy ending that I expected. Even after two tries still nothing. I followed the tutorial found here :--> http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/6897/photovore.html . I checked everything i could i even used a smaller motor salavaged from a hexbug i paid $6 for. Anyways this has not detered me at all. Back to the drawing board. Oh by the way, its always a good idea to use a breadboard first , no matter how confident you are that you've got it all correct.
For the brain I bought the following from Solarobitics (i doubled the qty of each item required from teh tutorial) :-
- 2N3904 (corrected thanks Krumlink)
- 0.22uf Monolithic Capacitor x2
- Pager Motor Style 2
- 1381 J Trigger - 2.7 to 2.9V
- 24x33mm Polycrystalline Solar Cell (rated at 4.5v / 18ma)
- 100K 20 Turn Trimpot
- Wide Field of View Infrared Photodiode Detector
I'm pretty convince I messed up the order or at least mis read the instructions. Thats the only explaination why two separate builds still nothing. I'm saving up some more money to get myself a Breadboard. Will be debugging both photovorescomponent by component. My solar cell and pager motors were setup to be detachable and i didn't include them in my pics. When I get home later I'l show the full assembly. Oh yeah I cheated a bit and used a prototyping boad i bougth at TheSource. See more pictures below :
May 31, 2009
After rechecking and taking apart my second of the two photovores I got two brilliant days of awesome sunlight and to my amazement my photovore sprang to life. It turns out that even though i figured the lights at home should be sufficient to power the solar cell it wasn't at least not for my photovores. The same cell powered my single motor symet but not the photovore. Thanks again to all the commenters. I'm off again to plan my next project.
P.S. Will be posting a video of my final bug shortly
The final product