Let's Make Robots!

Mr. X becomes Mr. Red Adair

IMG_0881.jpg

This is one of the main part for my contribution of the LMR Dagu contest. It looks like a small camera and yes indeed it is a camera. But this camera didn't give you a video or picture output. Mhhm, than it must be defect you may think.

No it is still live (I hope so after desoldering it). It is the IR camera from a Wii Remote. This is a special sensor for tracking up to 4 infrared sources. It can be accessed by a microcontroller via I2C. More details can be found at Make - Hacking the Wiimote IR Camera

I hope to get this tiny thing working for my Mr. Basic.

 


Update 2009-05-30: I got the IR sensor working. This is great fortress for my Mr. Basic. The sensor detects a candle light upto a distance of 2 meters. Not bad. So this will be my flame detector for Mr. Red Adair, the new name for this little firefighting robot. Named after the best known firefighter in the world, Paul Neal "Red" Adair

 

 IMG_0889.jpg

Tomorrow at daylight a video will follow.

Next step is building a brain for him. I will use only homemade boards for this robot.

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
look here, but it is incomplete at the moment. Hope I will find the time to continue after the competition.

this is a great hack!!  a walkthrough would be really cool!

I got the IR sensor working See update above.
That would be great for having a robot read hand signals or sign language if you made some gloves with IR leds on them.

Great idea OddBot. Before I sacrified my Wiimote in the name of science I played around with the amazing projects from Johnny Chung Lee.

Trying to speak to the IR sensor via the expansion port ends in failure. The Wii controller permit access to the I2C bus only when it has a bluetooth connection running. So I decided to follow Kako's way

If I succeed, I will write a Tip&Walkthrough.

i recognised this beasty - was only checking this out today - good luck with the interface
I have all parts together to build up the interface. Hoping this weekend I will tame the beast :-)