Let's Make Robots!

Creating Simple Android Apps with MIT App Inventor 2

I plan to edit this blog. Think of this as a public "draft" version. I thought even in draft form some of this infomation could be useful to LMRians.

MIT's App Inventor 2 is a web based application for designing Adroid Apps.

I both love App Inventor 2 and hate it. I love how easy it is to use. If you want to make an app with a few buttons to send data over Bluetooth then AI2 is the perfect tool to develop the app.

Propeller Boards to use in Robots

As many of you are aware, I'm a big fan of the Propeller. I frequently get asked various Propeller related questions in the Shout Box which I'm all too happy to answer. However, I thought it might be a good idea if I made a more permanent record of my Propeller board related suggestions.

Eavesdropping On Adafuit's FONA

I recently purchased one of Adafuit's FONA modules.

Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM Breakout - SMA Version - v1

 

By following Adafruit's tutorial, I was able to use a serial terminal to send text messages. The tutorial didn't include an example of reading a text message and my attempt to decipher the datasheet ended with a bunch of error messages.

3-Axis Joystick with Button

Edit: Here's link to the Aliexpress seller I purchased the joystick from.

I saw this joystick in a Hackaday article and I thought it looked cool. I really liked that it had a knob on the joystick.

Wii Nunchuck Control Scheme

Edit: I don't expect many of you to read though this blog. This ended up being a way to "think out loud". It helped to write these ideas down.

It's probably not a great idea, but I'm using a wireless Wii Nunchuck as the remote on my hexapod.

On start up the hexapod uses the joystick as direction control with rotation control performed by pressing the "Z" button and rotating the Nunchuck to one side or the other.

I'm trying to come up with a way of having the input from the Nunchuck able to control different aspects of the robot.

Overall Structure of My Hexapod Program

I've been trying to add additional features to my hexapod code for several weeks now. As I mentioned in my last blog, I've spent some of this time freeing up RAM. While I've made a little progress towards adding some the features I desire, I haven't made nearly as much progress as I had hoped. I'm hoping my fellow LRMians won't begrudge my effort to get my taughts straight in my brain my posting them as blogs.

Making Room In the Propeller RAM for More Features

This is another "thinking out loud" blog. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned to Gareth I was down to 798 free (32-bit) longs. Since I knew I wanted to add additional features, I needed to figure out a way of freeing up some RAM.

Slave Propeller Robot Control Code (Eddie Firmware)

The embedded video isn't showing up. Here's a link to the latest test of the h-bridge version of the Eddie firmware.

As I've mentioned in several posts, I've been working on modifying Parallax's Eddie firmware.

Will Code For Parts

Yesterday I received a bunch of really nice robot parts from Parallax.

While I didn't purchase these parts, they're also not really a gift.

Parallax wants some Spin code modified to work with some of their new hardware. I've been sent this hardware with the expectation I'll get the code working with it.

Hex Caster

Hex Caster is my attempt to come up with some play on the word "hex".

I plan to use this PCB with both my hexapod projects.

Here's the top of the board.

Below is the bottom.

The servo banks are broken into groups of six.