Let's Make Robots!

Building a TITAN

TITAN is a much larger version of my Wild Thumper robot chassis which was based on my original 6WD robot chassis. The reason for making TITAN is simple, I want a robot chassis big enough to do jobs like plowing snow, mowing the lawn or carrying heavy garden supplies like a few bags of fertilizer.

I have been developing this 5 axis CNC Controller on and off (mostly off) for the last 3 years. I wanted an "all in one" controller that did not depend on a PC to … Read more
Tracks movement, Crawls about either autonomously or controlled by TV remote.
Before I moved to China and started working for DAGU I built a caterpillar robot made from Polymorph (shapeloc). I had wanted to make something different that did … Read more
Introduction This tutorial will explain the basics of hobby robot design and covers many subjects. I have includes numerous links to explain various subjects in … Read more

Pycam and other free CAM products

I am close to completeting my CNC controller. This has been one of those projects that has spent a lot of time on the backburner. Now I am trying to find a good CAM package to recommend.

The controller and it's software is designed to try and make CNC machining as easy as possible for the novice so I was trying to find CAM software that did not need months to learn.

Precision control of 2 DC brushed motors using encoders
Perhaps the most common part needed to build a robot is a motor controller and usually the first complaint from beginers is that the robot does not travel in a … Read more

Strange problem when saving data to SD card

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560 equivalent controller to read a G-code file received by an Xbee on serial port 2. The file needs to be saved onto an SD card until the machine is ready to process the data.

For this test I am using the Tera Term VT software to send and receive data over the Xbee modules on serial port 2 and the USB cable to upload code and debug. The code was written using Arduino 1.0.6 but i have also tested in Arduino 1.0.4 with the same results.

Introduction: This is a project I've been thinking about for a long time. I built the hardware some time ago but never had time to put the beacons into use. The … Read more
This is a robot I made for my son Shi Sen over the Christmas holidays. Some of the blocks are original K'nex blocks I brought with me from Australia. The other half … Read more
The Scamper chassis can move in any direction and each motor has a high resolution encoder so it should make an ideal painting robot. Think mobile dotmatrix … Read more